Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Adventures of Ethan and Lucas

As Noah and I enter our second year as the parents of twin boys, I thought it appropriate to begin chronicling our adventures. We enjoyed sharing monthly photos of the boys as they grew so quickly and dramatically during their first year (to see these, visit noahheldman.smugmug.com and use the password lucasethan3306). Now we are finding that they have so many sides to their personalities. They are clever, funny, tender, rough, generous, self-centered, loud, and happy, just to name a few. Therefore, the best way to help you get to know them better is to share our favorite moments and stories with you.

Some of you may have been invited to view our “PregBlog,” which was developed during my pregnancy. If so, you may be wondering if I can manage more than two entries a year. I will do better, I promise. :)

I think it is fitting to quickly recap our first year before embarking on memorializing the second. It looked something like this:

Jessica: What do you mean “emergency c-section?”

(45 minutes later)

Lucas: Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

(4 minutes later)

Ethan:Waaaaaaaaaa!

Noah: They are both doing great!

(three weeks later)

Jessica: What do you mean you are hungry again?

Lucas: Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

(4 seconds later)

Ethan:Waaaaaaaaaa!

Noah: We are all doing great!

(three weeks later)

Jessica: What do you mean, they both have colic AND reflux?

Lucas( continuously for three more months): Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Ethan (continuously for three more months): Waaaaaaaaaa!

Noah (continuously for three more months): Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Ok, the first few months were rough, but once we hit the six month mark, things just got better and better. The boys became more comfortable and cried less, and so did Noah. Just kidding – actually we all got to know each other much better and Noah and I became more confident as parents. We enjoyed many months of exciting developments – crawling, walking, signing. We love being parents of twins. Speaking of which, I saw a great t-shirt online. It pretty much summarizes our interactions with the rest of the world during this first year:



Seriously, its amazing how many people thought they were the first to say "double trouble". Despite the repetition of the same questions and comments, we really appreciated all the well wishes from so many people we met. Now we don’t have time to stop and talk to people anyway, with both boys running off in opposite directions!

The second year has been wonderful so far.
One of the sweetest things is how Ethan loves to bring one of us a book, settle himself onto our lap and open the book for us to read. Some of his favorites include Go Dog, Go, Goodnight Moon, and Finnegan's Wake.








Lucas is wonderful at signing. He can talk to us in phrases now, which really blows my mind. I sit silently stunned when he looks at me and asks for "more milk." I expect that tomorrow he will comment on the chances of the Democrats winning the White House in 2008.







We look forward to sharing more stories with you, so check back soon for the next installment of the adventures of Ethan and Lucas!

2 comments:

rikkicitos said...

"Double trouble..." at least that distracts them from making the Noah's Ark joke that they had in mind...

Grandma Pat said...

About those books Ethan has read, what I want to know is now that he has read Finnegan's Wake, when is he going to start War and Peace...in Russian?