Saturday, May 31, 2008

Submersion Day

Today was our third swim lesson of the session, and that can only mean one thing...it is time to dunk your oblivious child under the water, add up the cost of a lifetime of therapy in your head in a split second, and bring them back up, searching for signs of eternal resentment or possibly enjoyment. I am relieved to say that Lucas reflected the later, while Ethan handed us the gift of not being quite sure how he felt about it. Hooray!

Lucas was a riot. For the first two weeks of class, he has enjoyed being in the water a great deal. The one thing he was averse to was climbing up on the floating mat. I thought that it was probably too scary for him to be out of my arms, and rather intimidating to try to maneuver across a wet floating mat. I think I was wrong. Once he realized that today the plan was to get on the mat, crawl to the end, sit for a moment and then jump off while being dunked under the water, it was game on! He got onto the mat, STOOD UP, ran to the end of the mat, almost before I could get there, and the teacher practically had to grab him before he just took off into the water himself. When I held him under his arms, guided him off the mat, and dunked him under the water, he came back up with a huge smile on his face, saying "MORE AGAIN!" Not just "more" and not just "again" - "MORE AGAIN!" Pure joy - I loved it!

I love that he is so brave, and it is great that he loves the water. Well, the pool anyway. When bathtime came around, we were treated to a massive rebellion. I don't even try to understand anymore, I just revisit the sound of his laughter in my head while he screams "Lukey no bath - put on jammies, go sleep NOW!" Ah, parenthood.

On that note - congrats to our friends Matt and Kelly on the birth of their son Remy. There is no life experience more fun or more confounding than parenting - cherish it. :)

No comments: