Jessica is usually the one to write blog entries... they reflect who she is as a mother, and as a result, who our children are growing up to be. But outside of our immediate family, and maybe some of the other twin moms in her playgroup (whom she sees very regularly), I'm not sure whether people really understand how amazing a mother Jessica is.
When we first started talking about parenting, we both thought we would be capable parents. Jessica had successfully taught rooms full of junior high students with criminal records, so how much of a challenge could two kids under two really be? And I had always prided myself on my patience. I guess I just didn't realize it had never really been tested...
So, early on, we were both surprised that we were in a place where we felt like we had no idea what we were doing. We had incredible help surrounding us, and all kinds of great advice, but there are some things in parenting you just have to go through for yourself. What emerged from that uncertainty and self-doubt was Jessica as the mother I had always known she would be.
Creative, funny, confident, thoughtful, loving, and patient. On top of that, Jessica has always kept the kids' health (and more recently, our health as parents) as a very high priority. That seems like a no-brainer, but when it impacts everything you do, every minute of every day, it's a daunting task.
For example, Jessica would not call herself a great cook two years ago. In fact, she wouldn't say she was a cook at all. Since then, she has become an incredible cook, because it was the best way to fulfill her commitment to our family's health. And that, to me, is one of Jessica's best qualities: she never takes shortcuts. I've seen evidence of it before... she went to law school because she would be taken more seriously as a child advocate if she had a law degree. How's that for taking the long, hard road because of your commitment?
So, I guess I'm not surprised, since this is who I know Jessica is, but it's pretty miraculous to see those qualities coming to life in our two little ones.
Mother's Day is supposed to be a special day, once a year, to acknowledge mothers. But, I am not always the best planner...I am writing this on Mother's Day while Jessica thinks I'm taking a shower. Part of the reason I'm not great at this is because I would rather look at each day as an opportunity to treat Jessica like it's her special day, and not save it all for one 24-hour block.
So, Jessica... this is just another day that I am in awe of who you are as a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and of course, a mother.
Happy Mother's Day!
I love you,
Noah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jess, you really are a wonderful mother. And one of the best things you've done for your boys is to choose such a loving man to be their father. Steve and I both look up to you guys, and we really consider ourselves lucky to have you as our friends. Happy Mother's Day!
You made me cry...
Dad and I both thought your blog is wonderful. Jess and the boys are as lucky to have you as you are to have them.
And how fortunate Dad and I are to be parents of such a wonderful son.
Love you.
Oh, Noah. That was beautiful. Kudos to you both, for who you are to your boys but also for who you are to all of us.
Post a Comment