It has taken me a while to get this second installment out. Mostly this is due to the fact that we were experiencing quite a bit of what is not so fun about two at two – tantrums, fighting, defiance. But that just comes with the territory, and I am once again thoroughly enjoying all that this age brings – times two.
Both boys, but Lucas especially, give voice to just about anything - puppets, stuffed toys, cars, trucks, trains, food, and their own body parts, among other things. I had quite a conversation with a kleenex, and joined a group of farm animal puppets in singing “Happy Birthday” to a fire truck. These boys have such great imaginations, and they just love to bring life to everything they play with.
The boys are in motion – be it bikes, scooters, pedal cars or ride-on toys, these boys love to move. What is great about the two of them together is that at this age there is no competition. They just like to ride together and wait for each other if one ends up ahead.
They love made-up stories – hearing them and telling them. Among all of us, we must tell two dozen stories a day. Some are just plain nonsense, but most have pretty clear characters and plots, along with creative resolutions. Noah and I use stories all the time to help deal with difficult situations (ever hear about the frog who was afraid to poop in the toilet, or the tornado that had no friends because he threw all of his toys?) and the boys really listen and absorb the ideas so much better than if we were just trying to talk with them directly. It is an amazing thing to watch.
They have incredible concentration at this age. Whether it is playing with beans – pouring and sifting – which is Ethan’s favorite activity, or moving cars around a racetrack, which is Lukey’s favorite, they play with such purpose and focus that I understand why Maria Montessori called this kind of play a child’s “work.”
They sing and sing and sing – and I can’t get enough. They love to sing all sort of songs, sometimes just to themselves while they are playing, but sometimes as a way of expressing their excitement in a given moment. Sometimes they sing together, and if so, they crack each other up by making up nonsense words to replace the real lyrics. For example, there is nothing funnier than “Be Our MEST” (rather than “Be Our Guest”) and “This old man, he played BUN!” Pure comedy!
Did I mention the hugs and kisses last time? Well, it deserves to be mentioned again. This is the BEST part of two at two – so many wide open arms running for hugs. So many wet kisses with a poorly timed “smack” at the end. SO many cuddles and snuggles – times two! I am a lucky Mommy.
3 comments:
I love this post! It is fun to have two at two...but if you don't mind I'm going to use your tornado story.
Now I can totally relate to the hugs & kisses part of being two. My nephew Isaac, who just turned two last week, gave me a marvelous display of it while I visited on Friday. His seven-year-old sister Reagan taught him, "Ready, set, go!" and he made a game of GOing to me from the brick ledge in front of the fireplace across the room, giving me a hug, and then running back. This cycle repeated at least 20 times. So precious!
Kids start creative but only stay that way if encouraged by creative parents. You may be a lucky mommy, but those precious boys are soooo lucky to have the mommy and daddy they do.
Post a Comment