Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It Just Doesn't Get Any Better Than This - Part 2

The day after our successful story hour we were treated to a concert in the park! I can't say enough how fortunate I am to be in San Diego during these early years with the boys. Sure, it would be fun to make snowmen together and go sledding during the winter months. I have great memories of doing so as a kid growing up in MN. But seriously, here we can be outside doing any number of things about 360 out of 365 days a year. We'll make our snowmen on vacation.

Anyway, we enjoyed one of these amazing San Diego days with our playgroup watching a children's band called Hullabaloo. We laid out our blankets, enjoyed a picnic lunch and listened to some of our favorite tunes - Twinkle, Twinkle; ABC; Old MacDonald. The "band" was really just one guy with a guitar, a bucket of instruments, and a super dispostion. He was really great and the kids loved him.




Again, I was thrilled by how engaged the boys were in this activity. They were attentive, sang along, laughed and danced. It is great fun to see Ethan's outgoing personality shine during these events. When the guy was singing "Old MacDonald", he asked what kind of animal was on the farm. Ethan confidently shouted "Piggy!" and was rewarded with a piggy verse being sung by all. When the guy asked again, Ethan yelled out "Lion!" We need to take this kid to a real farm someday soon.


It was fabulous to see all of our two year old friends enjoying an activity together. It had been a long time since we all sat on blankets together - in fact, the last time was when the babies were all too small to move. Since then, we have been chasing them around parks and playgrounds. Now they have reached an age where we can enjoy sitting together once again. As the concert wrapped up, I shared a moment with my friend Megan, who planned the event. We talked about how this day was like one of those you dream about - sitting under a blue sky, watching your little ones enjoy music, fresh air, and great company. Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am to spend my days enjoying life with my kids. Like I said, it just doesn't get any better than this!

Stay tuned for Part 3 - Using Our Imaginations!

No comments: