Friday, April 11, 2008

Hondas and Nissans and Jeeps, Oh My!




The boys' favorite pastime is pointing out all the makes of cars that they know, and excitedly learning new ones. It started a while back when Lucas began pointing out parked cars that had VW logos and saying "Mommy's car." Then came every Mercedes, identified as "Daddy's car." Not that he can tell the difference between Daddy's older, used Mercedes and a super swanky model. I'm always embarrassed when he points to some $75,000 car and cries, "That's Daddy's car!" but I notice that Noah is smiling.

Anyway, this skill developed rapidly and with suprising accuracy. I can't believe it myself, but each of them can now identify the following makes of car simply by seeing the logo on the back of the car or by recognizing the specific font used to spell out the name of the manufacturer:

Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Mazda, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Volvo, Buick, GMC, Scion, Audi, Acura, and Lexus.

Sometimes they can even pick out an Infiniti, Mercury, Saturn, Subaru, Isuzu, or Kia, although not with any real reliability. Slackers.
Half of these I had to learn myself just to answer their query. And not only can they recognize these makes, but they can pronounce the names too - there is nothing cuter than Lucas squeaking out "Mit-su-bee-shee!"

I was most recently stunned when we took a trip to the mall, and while waiting for the elevator, Lucas kept pointing to the call button and saying something I couldn't quite understand. Then I figured out that he was saying "Acura" and pointing to the up arrow on the call button, which resembled the Acura logo. Cars are never far from this child's mind!

So, yes we know our ABCs, but they don't hold a candle to our Acuras, Buicks and Chevys!


No comments: