Friday, March 21, 2008

It Just Doesn't Get any Better Than This - Part 1

Thus far, I love age two (note that I am knocking on several pieces of wood right now). The boys are enjoying playing with other kids, which I love to watch. They are also interested in group activities, which greatly expands our usual activity options. In addition, their imaginations are growing wildly, and they are able to lead some imaginative play on their own and with one another.

This week was just about perfect, as I was able to see them enjoy all of the above. It began Tuesday with our rediscovery of Storytime at the library. We had tried this activity a few months back, and it went fine for a little while. We would hear a story or two, sing a song or two, play with the blinds, fall off some chairs, try to open the door, and attempt to rearrange all of the strollers parked in the corner of the room. This was actually a pretty successful activity for us. Soon, however, the boys realized that we always went to the playground after Storytime. There are more things to fall of of, and more strollers to park out there, so why were we wasting our time in a stuffy library? Thus began the revolution.

After enough time had passed, I figured that the rebel troops would forget the Storytime/playground connection. Especially if I drove the two blocks to the library and parked on the side of the building where you cannot see the adjoining playground. I also brought reinforcements - my niece Katie.

The boys were great! They were, for the most part, interested in the songs and stories. They sat on our laps and listened. I repeat, they LISTENED - rather than frantically searched for the quickest method of egress. Too cool. Then some of their friends arrived. The recognized and were so happy to see Ryan, Lucie, Sarah and Eliza. In fact, Ethan was so happy he went to say "Hi" to each and offered almost everyone a hug. When the music began, Ethan grabbed Sarah's hand and began to dance with her. Lucas looked at me and said "Liza dance!" and set out to find his partner. Then all four grabbed hands. There was a moment of utter confusion, as the song was "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and no one had a free hand to touch any part of their body. But Sarah managed to lead the foursome in bending down and coming back up several times, thus experiencing the scope of head to toe. It was adorable.

After Storytime, I pushed my luck and took them to the book stacks. They hung in there for a few minutes, but then began to trash the place like a rock band in a hotel room. I decided that these boys were ready for the playground and off we went for some well earned stroller parking.

Stay tuned for Part 2 - Hullabaloo!

No comments: