Sunday, March 2, 2008

On the Eve of Two

I can't believe that my little goobers are turning two tomorrow. Two! I've been thinking about what I wanted to write all day today. It seems like a momentous occasion, but I haven't been able to put my feelings into words. The cliches keep running through my mind. You know, when people say things like "It goes so fast." Or when they laugh, "I can't remember what life was like before kids." Well, cliches become cliche for a reason - they can be so true. It is all going so, so fast. The first six months with them felt like six years, but the last 18 months we've been driving down the autobahn of childhood. Since when did they get to be such big boys who want to do everything by themselves? Wasn't it just yesterday they couldn't hold their heads up?

I used to laugh when people said they couldn't remember life before kids. I, for one, remember quite clearly waking up at 9 or 10am on a weekend, rather than waking up at 6:30am, unaware that it even is the weekend. But that isn't what they are talking about. What happens is that it just doesn't seem right any longer to picture the world without Ethan and Lucas in it, even though it existed that way for quite some time. These lively little boys are just such a presence in my life and in the world, revealing so much of it's wonder, joy and meaning. Guiding them and following them through each day brings an incredible sense of fulfillment and adventure. There is just a sense that THIS is what life is about.

I'm still struggling with what more to write. I just love my kids - I guess it's pretty simple. I also really like them - I like who they each are as individuals. I have really cool kids who make life a great joy. Awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree -- your kids are awesome. Happy Birthday Ethan and Lucas!

Lindsay said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lucas and Ethan!