Monday, February 25, 2008

THEY are doing great!

I feel like I am always writing about the boys talking, but it is such an amazing part of their development, and I enjoy it so much, and it is my blog, so here is the latest:



We have discovered how to correctly use some pronouns, very much out of the blue. One morning I entered their room and Lucas asked for Daddy. I told him that Daddy was in the other room and Lucas said "See him." Later in the day he saw a woman running and said "See her." The next day he wanted some cars from the other room and he said "Get them." Throw in a couple of "those" and "these" and you get the picture. This is just a cool development, as a week ago he would have said "See Daddy" and "Get cars." I think Etan learned this from Lucas as he started doing the same a couple of days later.



Not to be outdone by his brother, Lucas began singing the other day. He loves to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, little star." Just that one line, over and over.



For probably a year now, they both have made some pre-language sounds when pointing out something for which they didn't have a name. I of course continued to respond to these sounds as I have become adept at translating Caveman. This weekend their more evolved father suggested that they say "What's that?" instead. Well, this opened the floodgates. Now we are constantly wanting to know "What's that?" Usually they are asking about the names of cars or trucks, and luckily we have about eight hundred picture books on the subject, so I can confidently answer, "What's that? Why it is a grapple skidder, darling."



Ethan has always been dramatic, but now he is learning how to really emphasize his points using language. The other night at dinner, he was enjoying something on his plate and yelled "So much!" Then he said "Like it!" I told him to put it all together, and now he is fond of saying "LIKE IT SO MUCH!" and if possible, concluding by spinning and falling to the floor with great commitment.



The boys are kind of in a whiny stage, which drives Noah and I nuts, so we have instituted a new policy. If they whine or yell, we say, "What do we get when we whine?" and they answer "Nuffin." Then we ask, so what do you want to say instead, and they say "Please." It is pretty cute, and sort of takes the edge off of their whining.

No comments: