Sunday, March 16, 2008

Potty!

Now that the boys are two, I decided that we should be a little more encouraging about the idea of pottytraining ((shudder)) . It's not too hard to be more encouraging than keeping the potty chairs hidden in a locked bathroom, as we have done until now.

So we followed the lead of some of our playgroup friends and brought the potty chairs into the bathroom where they have bath each night. Therefore, when they get undressed for bath, they can make a pit stop on the potty and see what happens. They were very excited about this, and wanted so badly for something to come out the first time they tried to pee or poop. In fact, they tried so hard, they each managed to squeeze out one drop of pee on the first night. They were thrilled as they "dumped" their almost immeasurable pee into the big potty and flushed.



We were proud of them, but were afraid they might bust a pipe or something if they kept trying so hard. So we resolved to be more low-key about the whole idea. The next night, I was actually at a meeting while Noah stayed home to get the boys ready for bed. I was interrupted with this breaking news via text message:



At first I felt a pang of regret that I wasn't there for this momentous occasion. As a stay at home mom, I rarely miss anything. It is only every so often that I run out by myself to get a pedicure or a Starbucks. Fortunately, I was at a Twins Club meeting when I got this text, so I was able to share the good news with those around me. I'm not sure the Vietnamese nail techs or my barista would have been so congratulatory.
Anyway, Lucas has at least peed in the potty almost every night this week, and is so proud of himself. It is really cute.

Ethan has been far more interested in trying to break into the locked bathroom drawers and cabinets during "potty time." That suits me fine. I still fear potty training like the plague, so we'll just take it one step at a time, slowly, ensuring that they are in underwear by college.

No comments: