As you know, Lucas has not been napping well, if at all, recently. So each day I put him down, I hope for the best. Today was like any other day of late - as soon as I head toward the crib, Lucas starts crying "Nap-nap, all done." I comforted him and laid him in the crib. Despite his protests, I gave him a kiss and closed the door, leaving him and Ethan to sleep.
The expected cries began, and then quickly turned into laughter. I listened for a moment and realized that both Lucas and Ethan were laughing and talking. I imagined that Ethan was entertaining Lucas and I was hopeful that maybe Ethan could succeed in making naptime a nice time once again. I listened in on the monitor as I ate lunch - it was so nice to hear them playing, talking and laughing again. I often heard Lucy's name come up and I though it was so sweet they were having some sort of conversation about their dog.
This went on for about 45 minutes and I started to worry that they might never actually fall asleep. They seemed so jazzed about something. However, I was glad to hear Lucas enjoying himself rather than crying. I had a headache, so I decided to take the opportunity to lie down for a few minutes as long as everyone was happy in their cribs.
Anytime I head to my bed, Lucy is hot on my trail, as she loves an afternoon cuddle. I was surprised when she didn't follow. Lucy has had some bad luck lately - being accidentally locked outside or inside or in the pantry - so I decided to make sure she was alright. I couldn't find her anywhere. Then I heard Lucas say "Lucy" for the hundredth time, and everything became clear in that instant. Lucy had followed me in the boys' room for naptime and I didn't remember her following me out. The boys had been laughing and talking about Lucy for an hour because she was trapped in there with them!
I immediately panicked, but then stopped to question whether this was really a bad thing. The boys certainly seemed happy having her in there. I couldn't imagine what Lucy was thinking, but she does love spending time with her brothers and she hadn't made a peep. Either she was basking in all the attention or she was frozen with fear being trapped in a room with these two wild men. I figured all parties were safe, however, with the boys confined to their cribs. It was only a few minutes later when the laughing turned quite raucous that I thought Lucy might need saving. I opened the door to find her standing in the middle of the room looking about as shell-shocked as a dog could. I often have the same look on my face during an afternoon alone with the boys.
I released the hound, changed some stinky diapers and started nap all over again, sans canine. After passionate protests, the boys finally fell asleep, and Lucas woke up after the predicted thirty minutes. That gave me just enough time to apologize to Lucy and play a little rope toy tug-o-war with her to make up for my negligence. However, I don't think we'll be quite even until I share a little Thanksgiving turkey with her.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment