Lucas is also a big fan of walking around with nothing on but a diaper and his monkey slippers.
One of their favorite new toys is a doll stroller I bought them. Many of their girl friends have them and my boys were always wanting to play with them at playgroup. So I bought a cute pink stroller, put "Baby" in it and told them that they were Daddys taking their baby out on a walk. Now they love pushing the stroller around while proudly exclaiming "Dada" as they go. In fact, Ethan makes a point to stop in front of other people and explain "Dada" as he walks by pushing the stroller. The first conversation to occur at our playgroup started this way. Ethan stopped in front of Lucie, our 22 month old friend, and said "dada." Lucie responded "office." Did Lucie think Ethan wanted to know where her Dada was? Was Lucie trying to tell him that he needed to conform to his traditional social role of supporting a family financially rather than acting as caretaker to his child? We may never know. However, this informative exchange was the first intelligible communication between two kids at playgroup and in our world, this is a big deal!
1 comment:
Jess- I just went to a workshop on friendship develoment and social relationships in early childhood- your post about the Ethan's conversation fits right into what I learned. Would love to talk to you about it sometime!
Post a Comment