Last weekend I took leave of my family for three and a half days. This is by far the longest I have been away from home since the boys were born. I had the great opportunity to return to my hometown and see a dear friend get married as well as visit with old friends and family.
I won’t lie – I was nervous to leave. Not nervous that anything bad would happen, but just nervous that I would miss my guys too much and that they would wonder where I was for so long. I certainly missed them, but managed to get by. Any concerns I had about the boys pining away for me were quickly dispelled when I spoke with Lucas on my first night away:
Me: I miss you and I love you!
Lucas: (pause) I love you, but I don’t miss you.
What could have seemed rather insulting was instead wonderfully comforting. Of course they weren’t going to be heartbroken over my brief absence – they had DADDY!! He’s the best! I know this –I married the guy! The boys were always so happy when they came to the phone, full of stories of games, activities and general good times with Daddy. I’m so glad these three had an opportunity to enjoy a guys weekend together! And of course, my wonderful husband is an equally wonderful father who enjoyed having this special time with his sons, letting me know very clearly that he’s happy to have a “guys weekend” any time I need to get away.
I will happily add, however, that upon returning home, I was greeted with an afternoon full of extra hugs, kisses and “I love you’s,” confirming that there was still a special place for mommy in this house full of guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment