Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Why Is This Woman Laughing?

I spend a great deal of my day laughing.  These kids are really funny – sometimes on purpose, but mostly unintentionally.

When asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, Ethan answered “a tuba” and Lucas answered “a fish-puller.”  When pressed further, Lucas described the work of a fisherman, but I’m now partial to the term “fish-puller” myself.

Today Ethan shared why he needed me to carry him up the stairs: “I have a headache in my feet.”

For the first time Ethan told me “I’m thinking about something,” and pointed to his head.  I thought this was so cool, and was so excited to hear what his first self-recognized “thinking” was about.  He said “I was thinking about what it like to wait in a Hyundai for five weeks.”  Really?  This was the thinking worth mentioning?  I decided to go with it.  “Well, what would it be like?” I inquired.  “Blue.”  But of course.

Recently we’ve been trying to help Lucas come to terms with his gluten intolerance.  He began to notice that there were some foods other kids could eat that he wasn’t allowed to have.  We explained to him that some foods have gluten and if he had them, he would get a tummyache.  He has accepted this, for the most part, with admirable grace.  Ethan has found this to be a fascinating piece of information and comments often about whether something has gluten or is gluten-free.  Initially, he seemed genuinely concerned for his brother and wanted to ensure that there were no tummyaches in the making.  Recently, however, he has graduated to using this information to his advantage.  For instance, he enjoys making “sandwiches” with play food.  He claims that each of his creations has gluten in it, and thus is free from having to share with Lucas.  Clever.

Lucas has become rather ingenious himself when it comes to real food.  He will ask for one of his favorite things, such as Snapea Crisps or crackers.  I’ll give him a limited quantity and when he asks for more, I tell him that we are done with that food.  Instead of asking again, which he knows will be unsuccessful, he simply describes what he wants, leaving out the name.  For example, when denied more crackers, he will say, “Okay.  Now I want something else…something round…and crunchy.”  As if I will suddenly say, “Hey, I have the perfect thing –a cracker!”  He does this with all sorts of food, and it totally cracks me up.

Today Lucas was standing near my bathroom counter and said “Mommy, you need to be generous.  Give me your cup of water.  Be generous!” 

Such great entertainment on a daily basis!

2 comments:

Grandma Pat said...

Priceless!!! I can totally relate to the first question. When asked that, Sean said he wanted to be a spider. Kids are so wonderful. They haven't yet learned that there are limitations to what one can do or be so being a spider or tuba are things to strive for when you are a toddler. I loved this post!

Anonymous said...

Could there be some shifty lawyers in the making? GaGa Golden