Brushing teeth is never a favorite activity around here. We have tried many strategies for making this a fun and exciting time, but our kids are too smart for that. They know that, when it really comes down to it, the toothbrush is really a toothbrush, not Lightning McQueen taking his final lap in their mouths.
So tonight, when I told Ethan that he HAD to brush his teeth, he threw me a curveball. He said, "Mommy, what happens if I don't brush my teeth?" First of all, I was impressed by the thinking behind this question. Usually he simply says "NO!" and runs the other way. But tonight we were going to have a discussion. Cool. Secondly, he was really opening the door for me to convince him that brushing teeth is important. I could say anything in response to this question. I didn't want to traumatize him with an overly dramatic answer, but he was handing me a great opportunity to make an impression.
I went with what our dentist said at their last dental appointment, even though I really don't care for this answer. However, I thought aligning myself with the professional was a smart move. I told him that Dr. Chris said if we didn't brush our teeth, we would get sugarbugs in our mouth. He listened, making the most disgusted face I've ever seen him make, and then ran into the bathroom and brushed away.
So when he is all grown up, telling his therapist all about his fear of sugarbugs, at least he will do so with a mouth full of healthy teeth.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Grandpa and I laughed and laughed over this post. It was hilarious. By the way, does anything work on Lucas? Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.
Post a Comment