I swore I would never do it. Well, not never, but I was definitely waiting until they could clearly articulate their humiliation at being the only children in school still in diapers. However, apparently the day has come.
We started about a week ago. It all began with an unsuspecting Mommy who approached Lucas for his morning diaper change. Well, that's not really accurate either. I was definitely suspecting that this request would be met with a tantrum, as it had been consistently over the course of a few weeks. Never Lucas's favorite activity, diaper changes had recently become an all out wrestling match. This usually resulted in me getting kicked in the face and Lucas getting a time out. Fun.
So on this notable of mornings, I told Lucas it was time for his diaper change. He yelled, "I'M GOING TO CRY!" I asked him why, and was informed that "I DON'T LIKE DIAPER CHANGES!" I told him that I didn't like them either and that if he wanted to be all done with diaper changes all he had to do was wear underpants and go on the potty chair. He called my bluff. "YAY UNDERPANTS!" Curses!!
I shared this story with my Parent Ed teacher at class that morning, emphasizing that there have been NO signs of potty training readiness whatsoever outside of this conversation. She was very excited and told me that this was the best sign of all. "Go for it!" she cried. I believe I might have cried too.
So off to Target we went, where Thomas, Elmo and Lightning McQueen underpants were waiting for us. Despite seeing all of our favorite characters, both boys seemed rather taken with the Incredible Hulk underpants. Nothing more appropriate than this role model of uncontrollable rage to help us begin our potty training journey.
We got home and tried them on, admiring our bad selves in the mirror.
I will spare you the details (mostly), and just say that the boys have been doing great. I am really so proud of them. We are still in the beginning stages where I take them to the potty several times a day and tell them to try. But in the last couple of days Ethan has become reliable about answering me accurately when I ask him if he needs to go. So he manages to stay in underpants all day without a problem. Lucas is doing a great job, and despite a few accidents, is really learning to recognize the signs of having to go.
Oh, it hasn't been all ponies and roses. Lucas did poop on my foot today. But for someone as fearful as I was about this process, I couldn't be more impressed with the boys (and with Noah and I for staying sane).
1 comment:
Hooray for underwear! Congrats! I hope diapers will soon be a thing of the past. It is such a great feeling to never have to put that big box in your cart again. Great work!
Post a Comment