Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Coastal Cleanup

Last weekend we participated in our first Coastal Cleanup! We plan to make this an annual family activity. It seemed perfect to start this year, as the boys spend much of their time picking up trash and bringing it to us anyway. Usually this is rather frustrating, since we try to teach them NOT to touch "yucky" things. But they just can't help themselves so we figured we'd put their skills to good use. In addition, I've become a lot more environmentally conscious this year. Becoming a parent can really do this to you - it is one thing for me to swim in filthy water and drink from cups leaching poisonous chemicals, but my kids sure aren't going to do the same. I have a lot to learn, but I've got a great start thanks to some environmentally conscious friends and some great resources I've discovered. I am really glad for the opportunity to instill in the boys an appreciation of and responsibility for our world. We are going to do our best to start early and stay committed.

Armed with garbage and recycling bags, we set out to clean up. The boys seemed unaware of the purpose of our outing and headed straight for the ocean. They love the water and would be halfway to Japan by now if we hadn't held on tight. After they had communed with nature in this fashion, we figured they were ready to make some serious environmental impact. That is when the lifeguard truck appeared. Forget the environment, it's a truck! Lucas spent a great deal of time examining the truck (for the purpose of ensuring it complied with California smog regulations, I'm sure) and charming the lifeguard so he could accomplish this:





Meanwhile, Ethan got to work and was appalled at what he found on the beach.



All in all we did a good job and celebrated with some "Ring Around the Rosy" and fun on the swings!



2 comments:

Erin Cronican said...

Have you heard of IdealBite.com? They send out a new green/eco-friendly tip each day to your email. It's very cool...

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys! I'm starting to think Lucas has a real future as either a car salesman or a grease monkey. He loves those cars.