Sunday, September 30, 2007
10...9...8...
You may recall from an earlier post that we use a counting down technique in order to help the boys take turns. When one has a toy that the other wants, for example, we encourage them to wait until it is their turn, and if their turn never seems to come, we initiate a countdown from ten to one and then we guide the handing over of the object. This has worked very well; so well, in fact, that they almost don't need us. Well, almost. The other day, Lucas was pushing the buttons on our intercom system (a favorite activity). This requires that I hoist him up and hold him while he does the pushing. Ethan spotted us engaged in this awesome activity and decided he wanted a turn. He came up to me and pulled on my leg, asking to go "up!" I told him it was Lukey's turn right now. So the next thing I hear is this little voice at my knee say "Ten...nine...eight...seven..." This would be so great, except that he couldn't remember what came next. So after a pause, he started again: "Ten...nine...eight...seven..." Silence again. Once again he began: "Ten...", but must have remembered that he stalled out before, so he became very frustrated and concluded by simply yelling "TURN...ETHAN!" By that time, I was happy to oblige.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment