I've spent the last few years making sure you both stayed in one piece, despite your attempts to climb, run, and jump with little regard for your own safety and great regard for living life to the fullest. We've experienced some bonks and bruises, some slips and falls, but all has healed and nothing has slowed you down as you set out daily to explore and conquer the world.
As a mother, I've graduated from the concerns about preserving life and limb (mostly) to the concerns about preserving your spirit. Where my watchful eyes and quick feet and hands have allowed me to confidently support your desire to play, test, and explore, I am gradually releasing you further into a world in which I can't be there to protect you. What I want you to know is that no matter where you are, I've always got your back.
Recently there have been a number of news stories that have reminded me how cruel some people can be, especially when they are young and still trying to understand themselves and others. People do cause each other pain in this life. I don't say this to scare you, but I don't want you to be shocked by it, or think that it is unique to your life when you witness or suffer cruelty. We simply can't control or avoid being hurt by others, but we can control the impact it has on our lives. We've heard recently about young people who were devastated and truly did not believe things would get better. I want you to know that they are wrong. Nothing is ever permanent, nothing is ever so dire. We heal. If we give ourselves time, we always heal. Just like the cuts and bruises you've had as a result of physically exploring this life, the hurt feelings and broken hearts you experience will fade. The joy you've had literally jumping head first into life in these early years is only the first taste of the joy life has to offer you.
If I had my way, I'd be physically by your side as you navigate the complexity of growing up. I'd take down anyone who stood in your way, I'd silence anyone who uttered an unkind word, and I would shield you from a broken heart. But I can't protect you this way any more than I could prevent you from ever falling as you learned to walk. What I can promise you, however, is that I will always be there to pick you up, to hold you, and to love you until you are ready to try again. Nothing you do, nothing you feel, and nothing you are will ever change that.
So I ask you to trust me. I promise you, if you feel pain, hurt or embarrassment, it will ALWAYS get better. EVERY TIME. The world is a good place, full of wonderful people, and a few that just suck. Fill your life with those who support you and try not to waste time on those who don't. And be that friend who offers support, it will make you feel good about yourself to be kind to others. Be stronger than those who are mean - it's not hard to do - they are usually the weakest among us. Stand up for those who are suffering - don't tolerate hate. God put you here on this earth for a purpose - focus on that and its discovery. And if that next step is ever too tough to take on your own, call me, think of me, or reach for me. I will always be at your side. You are never alone.
I love you.
Mom
Friday, October 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Spoken like the wonderful mother you are! Ethan and Lucas are lucky to have you :D
Wow. Beautiful, Jessica. You so perfectly express the kind of support and encouragement that we all need to hear more. This could be submitted to a paper or magazine.
Well said, Jess. Well said. Those boys are lucky to have you as their mom.
Beautiful...The nice thing is the way they are going, they'll be able to read it soon.
So, so wonderful. I echo what Kelly & Claire said. They are so lucky to have you as their mom, and we are so lucky to call you our friend. :)
Post a Comment