Our little guys have hit the stage! Over the last couple of weeks, Lucas and Ethan each performed in their first open sharing, as I used to call it when I taught. Here's a little background on how we got to the big days.
Last fall Noah and I decided that it would be good for each of the boys to take a weekend class on their own. This would allow them to experience something individually, which is hard to come by as a twin, and would allow Noah and I to spend one-on-one time with each of them every weekend, which is hard to come by as a parent of twins. We explained the plan to the boys and offered an array of activities from which they could choose. Since Ethan has always loved to dance, he jumped (very gracefully) at the chance to take a dance class. Lucas, who spends most of his time acting out stories at home, was totally on board with the idea of going to a class where the teacher would join him in all of his imaginary adventures. So it was decided - Ethan signed up for Star Shiners dance class at Nobel Rec Center while Lucas joined Junior Theatre for his first Creative Drama class.
The experiences were great for both boys. Ethan was the only boy in a sea of pink tutus, but he had no qualms about tapping away and learning positions at the ballet bar. I was SO proud of him as he listened beautifully to the teacher and really worked hard in class. He received great compliments from his teacher - that he was so sweet, very coordinated and a fantastic listener. He had a fabulous time each week and couldn't wait to go back.
It was really special to me to take Lucas to JT, as I had taught classes for his age there for many years. What a trip to take my little one there now and be the parent waiting outside the classroom! Lucas had a great time each week and was also praised by his teacher. She made a point to tell me that he exceeded expectations of a student his age, as he listened so well and didn't need coaching as he acted out the stories. He was a natural! I was so very proud of the fact that he took initiative in doing something he really loved.
So fast-forward ten weeks, and finally we had the chance to see our boys share what they had been learning. First was Lucas's performance in which he portrayed a duck with great commitment - flapping his arms, remembering all his lines, and projecting his voice beautifully. We also got to see him participate in the warm-ups, games, songs and dances they had done in class.
Lucas was not at all shy, and loved looking out at the audience, half of which was made up of his wonderfully supportive extended family. I kid you not - there were NINE family members there to see him! He seemed to have a great time and was so proud of himself, which made us all so proud of him! Ethan beamed watching his brother take the stage.
The following week was Ethan’s turn to shine. He was such a joy to watch as he tapped along with the teacher. He really watched her, concentrated and tried to do the steps right. Such maturity and focus – and such a big smile on his face every time he looked over at his audience, once again half-filled by his adoring family. Lucas cheered his brother on throughout the perfomance, hooting and hollering “Go Ethan!” and “Yay Ethan!” He was so excited to support his brother.
A very special moment was during the ballet portion of class, when the kids were supposed to do leaps over scarves. Ethan had slipped a few weeks prior and had a rather nasty injury. During the performance, the teacher told him he could do a modified jump if he wanted. He looked determinedly at the scarves in front of him and firmly said, “I KNOW I can do it.” He took off and leaped beautifully. Now that is one of those moments as a parent that just can’t be beat.
At the end of these performance weeks, I am left with wonderful memories of the time Noah and I got to spend with each one of our boys individually. They are remarkable little people and it is such a joy to see them enjoying life and really growing up (but not too fast, please!). :)
1 comment:
How wonderful that both boys got to do an activity that allowed them to express themselves creatively and independently. Hmmm, now I have to start thinking about something like this! =)
Post a Comment