Well, up the 15 and through Rancho Bernardo, really. That’s the way to Grandma’s house (and Grandpa’s too). And we have been lucky enough to spend almost every Friday with them over the past many months.
It all began when our beloved MyGym closed its Pacific Beach location and rerouted us to their Rancho Bernardo location. This was the end of the road for many of the kids in their weekly gym class, but for us it was just the beginning. I figured that if they would have us, we’d stop by Grandma and Grandpa’s house just down the road after the class. I think their response to my idea was something along the lines of “Absolutely!!!”
Their enthusiasm for seeing the kids was matched only by the kids’ excitement for seeing their grandparents. Since then, G&G have set up such a nice routine for us each week. We are treated to a wonderful lunch of our favorite foods – pasta, pizza, nachos. And G & G always manage to remember what E or L last mentioned was their favorite snack – pickles, olives, raspberries – and make a special trip to the store to have them on hand. And of course, they always have the boys’ favorite treats waiting for them. I’m learning that’s what grandparents are for – giving your kids lots of treats, and even more when you’re not looking. ;)
We play games, draw, read, play grandpa’s piano, play outside, but our favorite activity is the weekly movie. G & G always rent the boys a fun movie, which gives us all some nice quiet time together (and allows me some time to fall asleep on the couch – a luxury rarely afforded me these days).
After the movies, G &G are generous enough to always “play the movie” at Lucas’s request. They have been good guys, bad guys, animals and fairies, all to just make that little guys smile. They work with Ethan when he wants to type words on the computer and cheer him on when he weighs himself on Grandpa’s scale and discovers another pound!
Since our first visit, we have rarely missed a week because it is such a special time for all of us. The grandparents love seeing the kids, obviously, and tolerate spending time with their DIL. ;) The kids ADORE their grandparents and have such a fabulous time during each visit. And I get a nap!
We’ve made so many memories over the last few months. Whether it is riding up the street on Grandpa’s lap on Grandma’s old scooter, or having Grandma teach us a good batting stance, it is time together that we all treasure. When Noah and I chose to start our family back here in San Diego, surrounded by people who loved us, we couldn’t have been more right. G&G have made such a special place for our boys in such a special family, just as they did for me ten years ago. We love you Grandma and Grandpa!!
2 comments:
I am willing to fly Noah's parents out to Austin, first class, just so I can get a nap. Precious, precious nap...
Wow! Thanks for the wonderful tribute, DIL. (That's Daughter-in-Law for you who don't know). The boys are both so loving and smart--just like their parents. I love the little traditions we have, all of which you mentioned--and the new game I taught them last week to play while we eat lunch--"I See Something That Begins With the Letter ..." They picked it right up. We always played that with our kids through the years and was always a family favorite. I love being able to pass it along to the next generation. But mostly, I especially love the hugs and kisses.
Post a Comment