Friday, June 26, 2009

School’s Out!

homeschool preschool 

Wednesday was our last day of Homeschool Preschool before the summer break.  When we started this endeavor, there was no telling how the kids would take to the idea, or if we could manage to produce ten months of lesson plans.  However, the year was wildly successful, even in ways we hadn’t predicted.

From seasons to safety, from bugs to manners, these kids learned a ton!  For the most part, they were interested to find out what the topic for the day was going to be, and always were attentive when we read books or used creative activities to delve into the subject matter.  Everyone enjoyed music and movement, which often devolved into a big jump-a-thon.  I think all of us moms surprised ourselves by the number of creative ideas we came up with for arts and crafts as well.  Never the boys’ favorite time of preschool, they still managed to come home with some pretty cool masks, paperweights, and macaroni necklaces.

DSC05802

Free play time was also full of great learning opportunities for the kids.  We often commented that no other group of six three year olds would play together so nicely and generously.  Not only are they just great kids, but being a twin has instilled a tolerance for turn-taking at a very young age.

I was personally a big fan of the food-centered activities that were usually planned by the other moms who are a little more skilled in the art of cooking.  The kids managed to bake cookies, make ants on a log by themselves and make ice cream from scratch.  I simply reaped the benefits.

My favorite part of the whole experience was seeing the friendships develop between the kids.  I think the most beloved and talked about activity of the year was the “buddy walk,” where they were instructed to hold the hand of their “buddy” while they ventured beyond the boundaries of homeschool preschool.  They took great care of each other and just loved exploring the world with their little friend.  The timing was perfect, as developmentally these kids were ready to form peer relationships.  We were just so fortunate it happened with such a great bunch of kids.

buddy walk

I look forward to sharing the stories and photos of their first “School” experience with the boys when they are older.  Elayne, Megan and I recently shared our amazement at how much all six kids have grown and changed during the past ten months.  They really went from toddlers to preschoolers with our guidance this year.  This is something that I am very proud of and something that will always hold a special place in my memory. 

Hooray for the Homeschool Preschool Class of 2009!

No comments: