Tuesday, June 2, 2009

House Concert

Noah and Randi have been playing music together for about thirteen years now, creating the most beautiful and inspirational music I’ve ever experienced. I very often imagined what it would be like to share those musical experiences with Noah’s and my children, proudly explaining to them that their Daddy is an incredibly gifted musician and that he has such a wonderful opportunity to make amazing music with such a beautiful person as Randi.

Last weekend the boys experienced their first house concert in which they saw Daddy and Randi in action. It was very moving for me to experience this with the boys. They loved listening to the music and gave Daddy and Randi their full attention. At times they sat and soaked it all in; at times they danced; and to my delight, at times they cuddled in my lap and let me hold them as we proudly watched Daddy do his thing. Pure joy.

daddy music

A few days later, the boys and I were playing with instruments at home, making up songs and singing silly words. Then Lucas went to the little piano and said, “Look Mommy, I’m Randi.” He then informed me that Randi has to stand up when she plays, she has to sing into a microphone, and she has to press a thing with her foot. Before I knew it, he had grabbed all the necessary accessories and started to jam. Ethan followed suit by proclaiming, “I’m Daddy!” while going to town on the bongo drums. Ethan then decided that he needed a microphone and a glockenspiel in order to do things right, and constructed his percussion set up right next to Lucas.

I provided the music – playing a Randi and Noah song on our sound system, and watched as the boys played “Daddy and Randi” with great commitment. As our camera was out of batteries, I could only capture a few moments of what turned into a full house concert with several encores. I expect they will take the stage at the next Randi’s Damn Jingle Ball!




Temperamental artists already!

No comments: