My Lukeybear. I know you are such a big boy now – potty trained, learning to read and write, sleeping in a big boy bed. But you are still my little baby boy, which I am reminded of every time I see you asleep, sucking your thumb and clutching your Abba.
When you are awake, however, it is very clear that you are your own little man. You know exactly what you want, and make no mistake, you will let us know just what that is. In fact, that is one of the things I respect about you - that you are sure about what you want, you are committed to results, and you cannot be swayed by other people’s opinions or emotions. With you, this is not simply a two year old thing, it is part of your personality. AS a two year old, however, the things you are committed to can cause us all some headaches. For example, you are often committed to completing your line of cars before you come to the table for dinner. That can be a tough one, as you own a HUGE number of cars. Yet as a character trait, I just love that you are so self-aware and dedicated. You are rarely distractible, and cannot be talked out of your beliefs and desires. I know that will serve you well in a world that often pushes individuals to conform and to fear taking a stand. Not my Lucas.
Hand in hand with your ability to commit is your ability to concentrate and your curiosity about things in which you are interested. You can work on a project for a long time, with clear ideas in mind about what you are trying to achieve. For example, your favorite activity this year was lining up cars. You could spend an afternoon creating a line around the room, over couches, and down the stairs. Each car had it’s place.
You also want to know how things work and will watch wheels turn and machines function for long periods of time. One look at you and it is clear that you are thinking hard about what you are observing. You love to share your observations too: “This is the biggest truck in the whole place!”; “This wheel can NOT move backwards!” When you don’t understand something, you ask about it. When you want to know more, you ask amazingly insightful questions. I love exploring the world with you.
You have a mind for facts – you know the names of more dinosaurs than I ever knew existed, and can tell us a little bit about each one. You know the difference between baleen whales and whales with teeth and can recite examples of each. This is not simply the result of having a great memory, but also having a deep curiosity about the word and a strong drive to gain knowledge.
You have an innate sense of justice that I can see demonstrated even at your young age. It amazes me that you can demand what you want, but when I share with you my concern, you’ll think up a plan that considers both of our points of view. You’ll never give in, but you sure can compromise. I am so impressed by this – many adults I know are less skilled at seeing another’s point of view. If something is fair, you are on board, even if it is upsetting. For example, you don’t love having to take turns, but you understand the need for it and you do it quite graciously most of the time.
You are also tons of fun to be with! You love to play and laugh. Nothing is more fun for you than being chased and chasing. You will set up elaborate dramas for us that require running and catching. I am the “bad guy” to your “Thing.” I am the innocent jungle wanderer to your sleeping lion. You will laugh with a huge grin on your face as you run as fast as you can down the hall. And there is nothing cuter than that Lukey grin! Your favorite partner in these dramas is definitely your brother. You love to play “Nemo,” where I am Nemo, Ethan is the diver, and you are Marlin, the daddy, protecting me. We scream, laugh and run like crazy, and you couldn’t be happier. You and Daddy have a great time making up new games that involve running, hiding, seeking and jumping out from behind things. You are just so much fun to be around!
You love stories – hearing them, telling them and acting them out. We actually discovered this year that a great way to help you calm down when you are upset is to tell you a story about the same upsetting circumstance happening to Daddy or I when we were kids too. A little bit of empathy goes a long way with you.
You love family and friends. Nothing thrills you more than a surprise visit from Gaga and Pop-Pop or Uncle Tim. You always are so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa. And nobody beats Katie and Joey. You are kind and playful with your friends at Homeschool Preschool. You also form strong bonds with certain people. You’ve grown very fond of Miss Megan and Miss Elayne, as well as some of your teachers at various activities. With these people especially, you will share quiet moments sitting on their lap or will show your silly and playful side.
You became so cuddly this year and I couldn’t be happier. Your first couple of years, you didn’t enjoy being held very much and often wanted space from others. This year, however, you blossomed into a very affectionate little guy. I just adore your sweet kisses and strong hugs. The time we spend together cuddling at naptime, storytime, or any other time are moments that I truly cherish.
Some more of your favorite things include being tickled (your laugh is such a wonderful sound!), anything involving cars and trucks, dinosaurs and sea creatures, sausage for breakfast, pasta for dinner, the color pink, spinning, music – especially your favorite song “Bling Blang,” books – specifically Mr. Seahorse and Whales and Dolphins, cookie bars for dessert, riding your bike, strawberry ice cream, and porcupines.
Sweet Lukeybear, you are such a loving, kind, smart, and strong individual. Your Dad and I love you so very much and are so, so happy that you are our big three year old boy!
1 comment:
This is so beautiful, my sweet Jessica and I can barely see to type through the tears. Next time we are together, remind me to tell you why this resonates with me so much.
Post a Comment