So, I explained the whole dressing up thing and then asked them what they wanted to be. Without hesitation, as if there was no other reasonable choice, Lucas said "a dolphin'" and Ethan said "a diver." Well, I was impressed by their creativity and commitment, so I naively smiled and said okay. It wasn't until later that evening that I hopped on the internet and discovered that no one sold dolphin or diver costumes. I figured that I'd just let the subject go for a while and ask them again in a few weeks. By then they would certainly have new ideas. Not my kids. My kids mean what they say and they don't forget anything. Therefore, weeks later when I showed them some cute dinosaur and fireman costumes on the internet and suggested them for Halloween, I was met with, "Halloween? I'm going to be a dolphin for Halloween!" "And I'm going to be a diver!" Well, something as simple as the nonexistence of these costumes wasn't going to stand in the way of my kids' dreams. So onto Ebay I went.
Apparently there was one dolphin costume manufactured a few years ago, and it is the only dolphin costume that has ever been produced. Luckily, one was up for auction. I bid and lost. I realized I had to get more serious about this. A little while later another came up for auction. I watched the bidding closely. I was outbid at the last minute, for an ungodly amount. Now I was fired up. I luckily found one last costume up for auction. It would be mine. I out-maneuvered, and untimately outbid someone who was fighting as hard as I was for that darn mammal (Did you know a dolphin is a mammal, not a fish? Never say Halloween is not educational!).
I was pumped and ready to seal the deal by finding a scuba diver costume. No luck. I was struck with fear - I was going to have to make this costume. I am not crafty. I repeat, I am NOT crafty. But my kid wanted to be a scuba diver, and a scuba diver he would be. I found some helpful hints on the internet, did some shopping at Sport Chalet, Lowes and Target, and cast aside all doubts in my ability to create something that wouldn't fall apart just from looking at it.
What came to be was the cutest combination of ocean themed costumes EVER! As good as my constuction and my Ebay acumen were, it was really how incredibly happy and adorable my boys were that made these costumes a huge success. We introduced them to their costumes this past weekend. They literally screamed and jumped with joy when they saw them.
They could hardly stand still to put them on. Once they were both dressed, they began to dance around, laughing and squealing. Lucas cried "Play 'Under the Sea' Mommy." I turned on the music and they danced and sang in their costumes. Mommy did good.
On Saturday, we went to our twin's club Halloween party at the local pumpkin patch. The boys were so excited to wear their costumes. Never mind that it was eighty degrees out and Lucas's costume was as thick as a snowsuit. Never mind that Ethan could only move at the pace of a snail in his flippers. Neither of them would compromise their artistic integrity for the sake of comfort. They were so cute and the costumes were a hit. We all had a fabulous time.
Of course, Lucas LOVED riding the cars at the pumpkin patch.
He clearly was on top of the world:
A great time was had by all - land and sea creatures alike.
3 comments:
The cuteness is overwhelming!!!!!
Those are, quite possibly, the cutest and most hilarious Halloween costumes ever. I love the two-liter air tank.
Well done. I'm having flashbacks to a painful robot costume mom made me when i was that age.
Post a Comment