Friday, December 21, 2007

Peaks and Valleys

It is crazy how different the boys can be from one day to the next. This week was a perfect example. Early in the week, the boys were so well behaved, played beautifully both independently and together, and were such a pleasure to be around.

Then Thursday came.

They both woke up crabby and the rest of the day proceeded to get worse and worse, culminating in a very public double tantrum in the food court at UTC. Noah and I put them to bed, and I got in the car and picked up sushi, beer and ice cream to help put the day behind me.

Then today came.

The boys slept late - that never happens! They greeted me with huge smiles and hugs in the morning. We proceeded to have a fantastic day, with each of them charming me in their own special ways. Ethan was really into caring for his stuffed animals and toys today. He asked for water while he was playing and when I brought it to him, he first gave a sip to the bear he was playing with as well as the construction worker action figure he had in the driver's seat of the dump truck. Then he laid each down gently and took some sips himself. It was adorable. Yesterday, every time I gave him his sippy cup, he would throw it on the ground or at Lukey's head. I like spending time with today's Ethan much better.



Lucas was incredibly sweet to his brother today. Almost every time he picked up a toy, he would look for one to give to Ethan. Each time he picked up his sippy cup, he asked for Ethan's and brought it to him. He smiled at and played with Ethan and generally had no trouble waiting his turn. Yesterday he screamed "Move!" every time Ethan came within two feet of him. Any toy that Ethan had, Lucas wanted, and wanted so badly that a tantrum was required to get the point across. I like spending time with today's Lucas much better.




So we have good days and some rough days. The rough ones can be challenging, but without them, I'm not sure I would so deeply appreciate the good ones. Someone once told me that when you look at a heart monitor, you know you are alive when you see the peaks and valleys. If you see a flat line, you really aren't living.

I kid you not - as I am writing this, I just heard Lucas over the monitor say "happy" in his sleep. That about sums it up for me too.

1 comment:

Erin Cronican said...

This is such a great post- this seems not only appropriate for parents but for human beings in general. Heldman's- you have inspired me!

Much love,

Erin =)