Friday, December 14, 2007

Mommy...Is Proud

Both boys said their first "sentences" this week. I count them as sentences because they both contained a subject and a verb, and each was the combination of words they knew went together. This is a big step for us. They have been talking for a while now, but they like saying one word over and over again, with great emphasis, rather than bothering to string two together. Not that I have trouble understanding them. It is quite clear to me that "Wucas...Wucas...Wucas...car...car...car...car...Pop-Pop...Pop-Pop...drive...drive...drive...drive" means "Oh Mother, it would bring me such joy to be able to drive a car, preferably the one belonging to my Grandfather." Nevertheless, we gladly welcomed this new development.

Ethan started on Sunday with what was truly a dream come true for me. I love watching football on Sundays and always imagined sharing that with my children. The boys really seem to like watching with us even now, which is far sooner than I thought they would. We cheer a lot, for both the Viking and the Chargers, as well as for teams threatening to beat the Packers, Raiders or Patriots. I love watching Ethan get excited - his smile and his positive energy can really brighten up a whole room. So on Sunday, as we watched the Chargers deliver a rather lackluster first half performance, Ethan lifted all our spirits by crying out "Go...Chargers!!" That's my boy!!

I am very proud of Lucas because it is clear that he can be easily frustrated when trying to accomplish something, but he remains persistent. I know all about that struggle - it is definitely a part of my personality as well. We try to encourage the persistence while helping him to manage his emotions. The other day he was trying to move between a toy and the couch. The toy was very large and hard for him to move, and he let out several frustrated grunts and cries, but finally made it through. He gave a huge sigh of relief and said "Wucas...did it." That's my boy!!

No comments: