Thursday, September 29, 2011

Scary Stuff

For quite a while now, Noah has been very excited to share with the boys the Star Wars movies. I've been suggesting that we put it off again and again for fear that the movies are too scary and violent. However, I finally withdrew my objections and settled in with a very excited Daddy and kids for this landmark cinematic event in all their lives. We began with Star Wars: A New Hope. Ethan proved to be a little scared, although mostly fascinated. Lucas seemed to avoid being scared at all and instead had a running analysis and question and answer session about everything he saw, heard or thought. All in all, the boys seemed unaffected in any negative way by the movie.

What I found notable, however, was that since that night I have viewed another movie with each boy separately called Everybody's Hero. This seemingly innocent and inspirational movie was about a little boy trying to return Babe Ruth's stolen bat to him. I found that each of my boys were more scared by this movie than the movie that depicted the rise of evil and it's reign of terror on an entire galaxy. What scared my five year olds more was a mean guy who was constantly yelling about wanting to destroy the career of Babe Ruth and sending his lackey to steal something. I just found it fascinating that what I worried would be scary to them - stormtroopers, blasters, cantina creatures leering at one another, was less threatening to them than just some angry and mean everyday people.

I've always been interested in the psychology of my kids and the different stages they go through. It leads me to believe that as a five year old, you just want the world to be a nice place and to have people around you happy and loving. There is a look of terror on Lucas' face if he ever thinks I am going to yell, which I do on occasion. That is more threatening than a lightsaber for that little guy. Fantasy is fine and fun, but what truly concerns these little people is being secure in their real life. Fascinating.

No comments: