A conversation from today, which is typical of a conversation that will happen a minimum of ten times each day.
Scene: Our car, driving on the 15 south.
Ethan: Mommy, what do you call it when it is bigger than one?
Mommy: When what is bigger than one?
Ethan: On the highway.
Mommy: Oh, when a truck is too big for it's lane? What do we call that?
Ethan (not recognizing the brilliance of his mother's ability to decipher what on earth he was talking about): Yeah.
Mommy: It is called an "oversize" truck.
Ethan: No, it is something else.
Mommy: Sometimes there is a sign that says "wide load." Is that what you are thinking of?
Ethan (again not recognizing his mother's incredible ability to read his mind): Yeah.
Lucas: What do YOU call it Mommy? Oversize or wide load?
Mommy: I don't know.
Lucas: But which one?
Mommy: I haven't really thought about it.
Lucas: Well, think about it now. Oversize or wide load?
Mommy: Well, I guess wide load.
Lucas: Why do you call it wide load?
Mommy: I don't know.
Lucas: Why don't you call it oversize?
Mommy: I don't know.
Lucas: Why do you like wide load better than oversize?
Mommy: I just thought about it and chose wide load.
Lucas: Why not oversize?
Mommy: I like wide load better.
Lucas: Why do you like wide load better?
Mommy: I like the sound of it better.
Lucas: Better than oversize?
Mommy: Yes.
Lucas: You like to say wide load but not oversize?
Mommy: I guess that's right.
Lucas: Why do you like to say wide load better than oversize?
Mommy: It's just easier to say, I guess.
Lucas: It is easier to say wide load?
Mommy: I think so.
Lucas: It is easier to say wide load and it is harder to say oversize?
Mommy: I guess so.
Lucas: I like to say oversize, not wide load.
Mommy: okay.
(Silence, blessed silence)
Ethan: Is there a word called overdrive?
Mommy: Yes, I think so.
Ethan: What does it mean?
Mommy: I'm not sure. I'm not sure of my name at this moment.
Lucas: You don't know your name?
Mommy: I'm just kidding.
Lucas: Why are you kidding?
Mommy: I'm just getting tired of trying to talk and drive.
Lucas: Which do you like better, talking or driving?
(Scene)
Monday, April 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Well if that's not an absolutely accurate portrayal of conversations with five year-olds, I don't know what is. You had me cracking up which, considering I have similar conversations at least ten times in my own day, is pretty impressive :D
Seriously! Steve's response for when he gets tired of answering questions is: "Because of the monkeys." It seems to work so far.
Reminds me of a Landmark exercise. :)
I laughed so hard! What a wonderful conversation. I love the rest of your recent posts as well. I hadn't checked in for a while, but something told me too. I'm glad I did.
Post a Comment