Since the kids were born, I’ve been committed to providing healthy, natural, and when possible, organic food for all of us.
When we moved into our new home, I decided it was time to try overcoming my black thumb and working on a vegetable and herb garden. It is a great way for the boys (along with me) to learn about how things grow, to care about what goes into our bodies and our environment, and to develop an appreciation for what it takes to grow the food we eat.
I must interject some background into this discussion. I grew up in the 70s and 80s, the heyday of processed foods. I mean really, what the heck is a Cheeto anyway? I also grew up in a home where bologna and potatoes was considered a gourmet meal. Not that I can complain, as I was probably the pickiest eater you could imagine. My mom made sure we had the basics covered, but her peasant upbringing and my pickiness put the kibosh on any truly creative cooking. Actually, “kibosh” sounds like one of those things she’d make that I would refuse to eat.
Anyway, we also didn’t grow anything where I was growing up. I mean, even people could barely survive living in MN, with the freezing winters and humid summers. The idea of growing your own food was left to the professionals. That would have been fine, if the professionals we relied on were not simply Oscar Meyer and the Keebler elves. But we managed to survive, and if you fast forward thirty years to living in California in the 2010’s, there is a wealth of information and opportunity available regarding growing the healthiest, most natural food right in your own backyard. Therefore, my attitude toward food has entirely shifted, opening the door to the challenges and rewards of edible gardening.
Because of the number of house projects we’ve undertaken, the development of the garden has taken on a very relaxed, slow pace – which itself is quite a change of pace for me. This spring and summer we have simply been experimenting with kinds of plants, methods of caring for them, and potential layouts for the garden.
All of this is to say that the boys and I have been having a fabulous time learning about growing food! The boys have been interested and helpful since the beginning.
We’ve enjoyed the fruits of our labor this spring and summer, which have included tons of strawberries, tomatoes, basil and parsley. The local rabbits have enjoyed all our broccoli as well. We have successfully grown broccoli three times and each time the rascally rabbits have found a way to chomp away at it just before harvest day. We’ll work on that.
My little farmers and I are busying ourselves preparing for the fall crop and our first foray into vermicomposting – worms and dirt, every little boys dream! I hope that this experience sets them up for a lifetime of healthy eating and a true love and appreciation of food. Bon appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment