Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Home




Almost exactly four years ago, Noah and I arrived back in San Diego after spending a couple of exciting years in NYC. I loved the city and had no intentions of returning to the west coast. However, our best laid plans were certainly cast in a different light once we discovered we were having twins. The desire to be near family, which was always a strong feeling for both of us, was heightened when we pictured ourselves with kids. Two kids, that is. At the same time. Thus, we found ourselves cashing in all my miles from my professional life and flying first class back "home."

It wasn't an easy transition for me. I had been incredibly happy living in NYC - it actually lived up to my fantasies of what life would be in the big city. I adjusted but missed New York quite a bit. It didn't help that we had moved into a rental that didn't feel much like a place I wanted to stay for very long. It wasn't a bad place, but not a great family home. Nevertheless, the babies were born and brought into our townhouse on Renaissance Avenue, and we made it into a happy household.

A year ago we began to look in earnest for a house to buy. Noah and I spent a nice morning alone at a coffee shop discussing our priorities and bringing our expectations in line with reality. Then we set off to look at houses. Over the next year, we would look at more than 60 houses and the kids would add terms like "open house," square footage," and "master bedroom," to their vocabulary. There was one house we saw relatively early in the process that appealed to both of us. It had everything we listed as priorities: a backyard for the boys, an isolated space for Noah's recording studio, enough storage space and a good neighborhood with good schools. The only problem was that it was slightly our of our price range and the sellers weren't budging. However, the more we looked at other homes, the more we became convinced that this home was the right one for us. Everytime we looked at it, it felt more and more like "our" home.

In the end, the sellers came down a bit in price and we managed to scrape a little more together. The house was ours!!

I packed for weeks and finally moving day arrived. Although we expected a stressful day, we were not exactly thinking that we would end up with a flat tire (Jessica), a split chin (Ethan), stitches in the emergency room (Ethan and Noah), and getting locked out of the new house. I adopted the old theater saying, "bad dress rehearsal means a good show." Moving day = bad; rest of life= good. I'll take it.

Things have been absolutely wonderful since we got settled. The boys adore their backyard and swingset. They play out in the fresh air all the time, exhausting themselves in the most healthy way possible.



They have a big house to play in, complete with a bedroom, playroom and craft room. I'm loving watching them play together so nicely as they explore the new environment. I also notice that they play more independently now that there is more room in which they can create their own personal space.

Lucy was a city dog with us for many years, but is now just ecstatic to have a grassy yard in which she can chase a ball and give herself grass massages.

The neighborhood has offered more than we even expected. There are amazing hiking trails everywhere, complete with seats carved out of tree trunks, homemade tree swings and teepees, and tons of little bridges and logs to balance on. We are loving this new aspect of life. It's not urban, but I really like it!





From day one this has felt like home. It is the place where the kids can grow and explore their interests, where Noah can make music and rest at the end of a busy day, and where I can make our space as cozy, healthy and homey as I like, allowing my creativity to grow in creating what is truly and finally our family's home.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Lindsay said...

I'm so happy for you - what a wonderful home in which to make memories!