Noah proposed to me eleven years ago today. Therefore, the title of “Best Birthday Ever” pretty much goes to my 25th, without much chance of being usurped (although you’re welcome to try, honey).
However, today ranks up there with the best of them. I turned 36 today – a rather unremarkable milestone. In fact, I have reached the age when I am unable to simply recall my age without actually thinking of the year I was born and doing the math. Sigh. But today was great. No big events, no big surprises. Just a day with people I love. And boy do I love my people.
I had the pleasure of watching my little guys jumping, climbing and flipping around at MyGym and then we headed to the beach – a rare spontaneous decision on my part. I was just delighted to see the guys run in the sand and scream at the waves. The sun was shining and the kids were just soaking it up. Laughter and refreshing deep breaths were plentiful. The boys handed me “presents” of seaweed necklaces and piles of sand, pleased with their silly ingenuity. Ethan chased birds, trying to give them hugs, while Lucas chased the lifeguard truck, presumably ready to hug it as well.
We picnicked and enjoyed some carnival rides over at Belmont Park, which is now the boys’ FAVORITE place. Then we crashed out together in my bed for a sandy and well-deserved nap.
This wonderful day was matched only by a dinner at which Daddy (and pop-pop, Uncle Jeremy, and Uncle Tim) joined us. Seeing the boys run to Noah with huge smiles and even bigger hugs was truly the icing on the figurative birthday cake (the literal one came later).
I recall these details simply to mark this wonderful feeling I have today – a feeling of simultaneously being content and looking forward to new possibilities; of excitedly (and ironically) planning to be more spontaneous; of supporting my kids in their growing independence while savoring each moment of their beautiful childhood; of being grateful to share this journey with such an amazing partner.
All this, and chocolate cake too. This was a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment