Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oh, The Places We Go

As part of our retrospective on the boys’ year of being two, I thought that I’d review many of the places where we spend our days. I complain a lot about San Diego, with the lack of seasons, and a certain lack of culture. However, I will eventually remember that it is an incredible privilege to live somewhere that allows us to get outside about 360 days of the year, and offers some of the best attractions in the country. We do our best to take advantage of them all. Observe:

1. Sea World. This is a favorite place for the boys. They opened the “Bay of Play” this year, complete with amusement park rides and activities geared toward young kids.

Lucas on the massive bouncy:

DSC04137

Waiting in line for our favorite ride – the Rockin’ Eel:

DSC04142

2. The Children’s Museum. Our favorite attractions were the wheeled things and the Pillow Fight room.

DSC04090

3. We made many a trip to the local library, which just opened a year and a half ago. We enjoyed picking out books and storytime.

DSC04287

4. The Birch Aquarium was always a good time. Later in the year the boys really became interested in finding animals that they had read about in books or seen in “Finding Nemo.” They became quite knowledgeable about jellyfish, always reminding us that Moon Jellies don’t sting.

DSC04304

5. We were very lucky to have many great parks near our home, and many great friends to enjoy them with. Experiencing “earthquakes” on bouncy bridges or riding bikes around walking paths, we always had a great time taking advantage of the year-round sunshine.

DSC04293

6. Homeschool Preschool began this year. Once a week we would gather with Sarah, Eliza, Ryan and Lucie to play, learn and have fun. The kids have all become very close, which has been wonderful to see, and I have enjoyed spending time with such great moms and kids!

DSC04478

7. Late in the year we joined My Gym – a great place for kids to run around, learn how to use gymnastics equipment, and experience teacher-led instruction. The boys absolutely love it there, with the trampoline and the ball pit emerging as early favorites.

DSC05281



8. The San Diego Zoo was another great place to take advantage of the San Diego weather. Early in the year, the boys loved to push the little pink doll strollers through the zoo. This is where they really learned how to listen to me when we are out in the world. I would let them get out of our stroller, push their own, and we would practice staying near mommy and stopping when I said stop. The boys did great and now are totally reliable listeners. More recently the boys have actually asked to go back in the stroller and enjoy more of the sights at the zoo.

DSC05299

A current favorite activity is giving love to all the animals at the petting zoo. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago Lucas couldn’t quite get enough of hugging the goats, and Ethan kept petting them and signing “I love you.”

DSC05321

9. This year saw the successful introduction of music class. The boys (and Noah and I) love it. The program includes a CD that we can take home that has all of the music used in class. The music is great, and has introduced to them such classics as “The Can-Can” and “Red River Valley". They are huge fans of the original compositions, such as “Driving My Truck” and “Forever Friends.” They sing all the time at home – while playing, in the car, in the bath, while trying to get to sleep. It is precious.

At music class they get to experience different instruments and are always excited to try the newest one.

DSC05334

DSC05338

So there it is – not only do I get to visit these great places, but I have the most fun, adorable and curious companions. Not a bad way to spend my days, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that you have finally made peace with The Bay of Play!