Today was the first day of school for Lucas and Ethan. Even though we homeschooled last year and they definitely learned a lot, we thought it was time to give them the opportunity to be in a traditional preschool setting. I have no doubt that they are ready for school. They have changed so much this past year and have gained maturity and social skills that I believe will allow them to fully enjoy their time in school without difficulty separating from me. This was confirmed this morning by their successful experience with the first day of school.
We have talked about going to school for months now. We have dropped by the school several times, read books about starting school, and had many discussions over dinner about what to expect. Lucas always asked if I would come the first day with them, which I happily agreed to do. Fortunately the school had a Teacher-Parent-Student meeting last week that we were able to attend together. This allowed the boys some time to meet the teachers, play inside and out and go to the bathroom with me there.
This morning we talked about the idea of me leaving after a few minutes and picking them up when school was done. They agreed, which I think was a direct result of being able to visit last week. They knew just where we were going and who they were going to see. Today was also a “phase-in day",” which was only half as long as a typical preschool morning. They knew they were only going for what Lucas called “a short time,” but he actually said he wanted to stay “a SUPER long time!” And that was before we even got there!
We arrived and entered the school to many friendly greetings and compliments on Lucas’ eyewear. A few moments of hesitation gave way to curiosity about what their nametags looked like. Finding them to be satisfactorily cheery, the boys posed for a picture with their teacher, Mrs. Fraiser.
The boys quickly got to work, exploring every toy they could find.
(If you enlarge the above picture, you can see the beautiful expression Ethan has on his face as he watches Lucas play. I love that I captured this – it is one of the things I love so much about Ethan. He finds such great joy in watching his brother enjoy something.)
After only a few minutes I said goodbye. No protests, no tears, just hugs, kisses and back to work. I enjoyed Starbucks with my friend Kim whose twins are also in the class. When we returned we were able to watch them playing outside, having a ball. Lucas had a huge grin on his face riding a bike around the playground. Then they went inside for circle time which I could watch through the window.
When class was dismissed, the boys had huge smiles on their faces and ran to give me hugs. Ethan immediately exclaimed, “School was so fun!” and Lucas joyfully cried, “We STAPLED!” Who could ask for more? What is in store for them next time – paper clips?
(The boys after school with their friends Rami and Emilia, who they have known since they were 3 months old!)
We have a long journey ahead of us in the world of school, but I am just so proud of the boys for being brave and trying something new. I also couldn’t be happier that they have each other. It is hard to turn around and leave your little ones in someone else’s care, but it is such a gift to know that they have each other. I am really choked up thinking about how far we have all come – how much they have grown. It is bittersweet, to experience such pride in seeing them grow, but to have to step little by little out of the center of their lives. It is right and it is good, but your heart gets no rest, swelling and aching from now until…
2 comments:
Great photos, Jessica -- I'm so happy to hear preschool went well. I love the comment about using the stapler too. So cute.
Here's to our 2-mornings-a-week freedom! We've come a long way :)
I'm so proud of them! They look like they are really going to love going to school. :-)
Post a Comment